Monday, June 28, 2010

June 28, 2010

Today our reading assignment included a handout that Brother Perkins gave us entitled "Feast Upon the Words of Christ." It was a little bit of a guilt trip for me. It made me realize just how much I had neglected my scripture study in the last year or so. During my freshman year at BYU I started a habit of reading at least 30 minutes a day in the scriptures. I was studying The Book of Mormon at the time and was taking Brother Parker's religion class. He showed us a quote from President Packer which stated that if you studied your scriptures for 30 minutes a day you wouldn't lose your testimony. Easy enough right?

I'm happy to say that for at least 2 years I was diligent in doing this. I might have missed a day or two, I can't remember, but scripture study was of the utmost importance and I worked in time either on work breaks or before I left for the day to "feast upon the words of Christ." I feel like during those two years I learned more doctrine than I had in the 18 years leading up to it.

I hate to admit it, but in the past two years I have regressed back to the point I was at in high school. My mom likes to call this "check the box reading." Namely, I read my scriptures, but only to say that I did it. This term I want to set a goal to make my scripture study more meaningful rather than focusing on a time constraint, or just being able to say that I finished something. I want to be able to focus and learn and use the Holy Ghost to aid me in my studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment