Monday, June 28, 2010

Celestial, Terrestrial, or Telestial?

I have a few journal assignments to catch up on since we had extra days of class. I want to write right now about judging our own actions and seeing how we measure up. This has been on my mind a lot lately as we have been studying the 76 section of D&C in class this past week. We went through and categorized the actions, thoughts and behaviors of telestial, terrestrial, and celestial people as we read this section. In very general circumstances, the telestial people are those who are guilty of sins of comission, the terrestial people are guilty of sins of omission, and celestial people are those who follow Jesus' teachings and examples.

As we went through all of these characteristics it caused me to reflect on my day-to-day actions and wonder what type of life I am living. I'd like to say that for the most part I've overcome the telestial world. I don't lie, cheat, or steal. I may think things that aren't very nice and occasionally I slip up and say things that aren't very nice, but I don't fornicate or kill people.
I'd like to think that most of my actions lie somewhere in between terrestrial and celestial. I go to church and I read my scriptures, but sometimes I am too lazy to make it to the temple as often as I should, or I do a "check the box" type of scripture study. Sometimes I think of others before myself and that would put me in the celestial category, but other times I forget to do my visiting teaching and don't look outside of myself to help and serve others.

One of the main things I thought about during this discussion was my relationship with Ryan's family. I don't have a relationship with them really, and the times that we have spoken or been together I have always come away degraded or hurt. The telestial person in me could have told them what I really think of them, but thankfully I'm either too much of a coward, or I've gained enough patience that I have held my tongue. I am thoroughly in the terrestrial category in this instance (and I do realize that this isn't where my sights should be set). Because of all of the hurt they have caused me I have chosen to ignore them and avoid them. This keeps me safe and keeps us from having any fights or arguments.

I do know that there is some distance that needs to be maintained in this relationship as far as keeping my family safe and progressing towards eternal life. However, the celestial being in me would be making an effort to have some sort of relationship. It would be the one putting together letters, care packages, and getting over the fact that they have hurt me and are rude and mean to me, and would move forward and try to build bridges.

I think I had started towards that path up until a few months ago. Things happened that stopped the progress, and made me put up fences. I think I need to keep some of those there, but only the ones that are for my protection. I still need to break down the ones that are stubborn and are saying, "I deserve an apology." Christ never got an apology from those who crucified Him and smote Him, so why do I think I deserve anything more?

No comments:

Post a Comment